Sagalassos, once the metropolis of the Western Taurus range (Pisidia, Turkey), was only thoroughly surveyed in 1884 and 1885 by an Austrian team directed by K. Lanckoronski. In 1986-1989 this work was resumed by a British-Belgian team co-directed by Dr. Stephen Mitchell (University College of Swansea) and by Prof. Dr. Marc Waelkens (Catholic University of Leuven). In 1990 Sagalassos became a full scale Belgian project and a leading center for interdisciplinary archaeological and archaeometrical research. Due to its altitude, the site is one of the best preserved towns from classical antiquity, with a rich architectural and sculptural tradition dating from the second century BC to the sixth century AD. From early Imperial times until the early Byzantine period a complete range of coarse and red slip wares was produced locally. Excavations are concentrated on the upper and lower agoras to document the political and commercial life in the town and also in the area where a late Hellenistic fountain house, which still functions to date, and a Roman library were discovered. Major efforts are undertaken to restore the excavated monuments in their old glory. Several disciplines integrate the town again within its ancient environment and document the central role which Sagalassos played in the area.
|Publisher||Leuven University Press|
|Rating||4/5 (42 users)|